日本語

Profile of Rotary Club of Tokyo East


The Rotary Club of Tokyo East was founded in 1955. It is the fourth club in the Tokyo Metropolitan area, with its territory east of the Sumida River. Since its founding it has given birth to four clubs, which in turn led to 10 additional clubs, now part of Sub-District, East as well as Sub-Districts in District 2580 in northern Tokyo.

Tokyo, originally called Edo, was founded more than 400 years ago by the Tokugawa shogunate. Tokyo eventually surpassed Kyoto, the old imperial capital, and Osaka, the center of commerce, to become the true capital of Japan since the Meiji Restoration of 1868.

Membership comprises professionals and owners of local businesses as well as executives of major corporations. Main activities include social as well as international and youth educational services, all faithfully within the original Rotary spirit. Members enjoy club life with its many meetings, trips with family, chorus get-togethers, etc. The club is proud of its major accomplishment achieved in the early 1950s when it was instrumental in pushing authorities and enterprises to clean up the then highly polluted Sumida River.